I come from a family where comedy and goodhearted teasing of one another was a part of our daily situation. I can remember going to sleep on Sunday nights when "The Honeymooners" was just coming on, and my father kissing me goodnight and feeling his two day beard on my little boy face. Even now when I hear the theme, I go back to the early 1950's. The comedy was very real, not fresh or hurtful and dealt with the challenges of life. Growing up in the 1960's I was enamored by Bill Cosby, buying all his albums and being able to use his stories in similar life situations. I still use some of his lines or observances to deal with today's life.
The Smothers Brothers played a large part of my underlying comedic sense along with their keen understanding of society in general. When both of my children sang "Crabs Walk Sideways and Lobsters Walk Straight" in the shower during the mid 1990's, those lyrics and their lessons hold true even today . Fast forwarding to the more recent 2000's +, names like Bill Engvall with family comedic observations and Jeff Foxworthy with his brand of poking fun at groups of people, but really liking them all, prove that mean comedy is overshadowed by Sweet Comedy today and the past.
I feel that when you peel away some of the fresher facade of Ron White and Larry The Cable Guy, similar observations of the human story are very evident. Part of who I am today is based on the snippets that I've borrowed to help me understand what is and what isn't. Part of my business mantra today is to use comedic references and or anecdotes in establishing a rapport with my clients. My ticket business follows that model. Please check out Sweet Tix to see some of the people in comedy who shape today's world.
No comments:
Post a Comment